Monday, October 29, 2018

The Story of Clarence


excuse me while I be all sentimental about an inanimate object


Clarence is my laptop.

He is red.

He is not very shiny.

But he is mine.

I got him two and a half years ago, and he is getting up there in years, as he is a 2012 model.

He is persnickety.

He didn't originally have a name, but I had to call him something because of his personality.

Last week he was convinced that Google Chrome was a product of black magic.

Sometimes it takes him ten minutes and two complete power downs before he decides to wake up.

Sometimes he'll hop right up as soon as I open his screen.

Sometimes he decides to randomly update everything instead of show me the login screen.

He doesn't like being unplugged from the power outlet.

I don't even try checking my email with his help.

He doesn't like the printer. I have to run everything through dropbox and print it from my phone.

Sometimes I impatiently bonk his screen when he acts up.

Sometimes I just say his name in a very exasperated tone.

~

But without him:

My blog wouldn't have lasted more than a year.

I wouldn't know how to work a PC.

I would still be juggling a shared laptop with my other siblings.

I wouldn't have learned much patience when dealing with uncooperative technology.

I wouldn't have tried my hand at NaNoWriMo.

I wouldn't have met the blogger friends I have now.

I wouldn't have a record of the past two and a half years of my life outside of photos.

~

So Clarence, you may not be the most efficient laptop out there, nor the most well behaved (I've threatened to replace him many a time), but you've gotten me this far, and I hope you continue to last for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I see you've made it to the bottom of the page, congrats!