Thursday, December 21, 2017

It's Christmas, but it doesn't feel like it.


I don't usually write about any holidays, but this was on my heart this morning.

The tree has been up for weeks. We've been listening to Christmas music since Black Friday. I have twinkle lights up in my room and bits of Christmas decor. We've done the Christmas baking day. We've watched Christmas movies. All the presents I bought have been wrapped. Everywhere I go screams Christmas.

I want to be excited and enthusiastic about the season like everyone else. I'm just. Not.

But I'm not upset about it.

I had a similar feeling last year and was pleasantly surprised to feel a little better about it this year.

I'm so grateful for all the blessings we receive every day. The comfortable lives we live. The family and friends I have. The fantastic experiences I've gotten to have this year.

My joy comes from the Lord, not from a time of year. I can choose to be happy around this time because of what Christ did for us. Christmas is a reminder of God's Gift to us, and we celebrate that by giving gifts to the people we love.

We are so used to having a certain mood around Christmas, and when we don't feel it we identify the absence of the feeling as not normal and depressing. We grow and change, yet we expect to always have the same feeling around Christmas year after year. We can't seem to accept and learn to expect that our moods change as we grow.

That doesn't mean that the sense of magic around this time of year diminishes as we journey through life, if anything it grows as we learn to see the deeper meaning behind the glitter of Christmas.

But it's not something we can force and still expect to be happy. Sure, there are things we can do to 'get ourselves in the holiday spirit,' and I'm not denying the helpfulness of those things. By all means, if it takes a certain something each year to get you into the mood, then don't hesitate (unless it's something like, you know, punching someone in the nose, then you might want to rethink your method).

How is everyone doing?
Do you have any thoughts to add?
Just for kicks, what is one of your favorite Christmas traditions?
Also, wow. Only a few days left in 2017!
What is something new you learned this year?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Chloe! Definitely thought provoking and encouraging. Thank you for writing, friend <3

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I see you've made it to the bottom of the page, congrats!