Tuesday, January 2, 2018

December Recap





This month was a lot slower compared to November, even with Christmas.

Ava had her birthday the other day, but unfortunately was battling a fever, so instead of doing much of anything, most of us crashed in the living room and watched all the Cars movies. She and I both ended up taking cat naps in the middle of the second movie.

A few days ago we woke up to the start of a three day freeze. We've mostly just had freezing rain, but I think I saw a few snowflakes in there. No way we're are getting out of the drive way though. The first third is fine, the middle part is somewhat ok, and the last part is completely sheeted in ice. I tried walking on it. I couldn't do it without slipping. The weather said it felt like 8 degrees out, but it was 22.

But anyway, that's the intro.

Stuff That Happened:

1. I accidentally left my car windows open, so I had to run out in the pouring rain to shut them after dark.

2. I was driving Gabe to his gym practice one afternoon and the car decided to stall in the middle of a bridge on a busy highway. We made it to the shoulder, but only just. That was fun. So y'all know, bridges shake. A LOT.


3. A friend and I had a fantastic conversation about hero and villain super powers.


4. Lydia put in her two weeks notice at the coffee shop she was working at. She'll be taking classes full time next semester, and we'll be going to the same college but different campuses, so neither of us can save on gas by going together.

5. When we were getting the Christmas tree, Dad had to go back in for something, so Christian and I got to tie the tree to the top of the car. Christian had helped Dad tie it on before, so I naturally assumed that he knew what he was doing. Apparently neither of us did it very well. We got about two minutes down the highway before Christian noticed that it was close to rolling down the side of the car.

6. Christian got his wisdom teeth out. He was the first one of us to act super loopy while on the medication. I was too sleepy to do anything too crazy when I got mine out, and Lydia didn't get to come home until she was fully coherent. So we got to have fun with him. When he walked in he dabbed and said "I have arrived!" and was trying to swagger in with Dad supporting him from behind. Mom: "Yeah, he's still a little out of it." Christian: "I am perfectly in it! Give me a math problem. Go get my drone, I'll fly it."

So since there isn't very much we could do with him in that state, we put in a movie for him. I pulled out a few choices, and happened to throw in The Curse of the Black Pearl, which is the only potc movie we own now. Christian: *holds it up* "is this the first one?" Me: *hesitates for a second* *deadpan expression* "no, it's the fifth." Christian: *sits bolt upright* "WAHT?!" *I explode into gales of laughter*


And the best part was; by the time the movie ended, he didn't remember that exchange at all, so I got to tell it to him again!

7. Taking family photos with Dad's side of the family on Christmas Eve. Our Uncle is the one running back and forth from the camera to the rest of us to pose for the picture. *after one particular photo* Uncle: "Alright guys. THIS is the camera. We need everyone looking over HERE." *gestures around the vicinity of the camera* "And I'm not talking to the children this time, I'm talking to the adults." *cue everyone busting out laughing*

8. *after arriving back home from taking Gabe to the gym one morning* Mom: "Well, I would ask if you and Gabe had a nice conversation in the car, but I know both of you." Me: "Yeah, we didn't talk at all."

9. Christian: "Ok, so Oklahoma is The Sooner State, what is Texas?" Me: *not batting an eye* "The Later State." Christian: "..." 😑👏 "Ok, but really. What is it?" Me: "...The Lone Star State. Dude, it's on our flag." Christian: "Oh. Duh."

10. Coal took the sweet and cuddly pill. That cat never ceases to confuzzle us with his attitude.


11. My phone charger died so I got a new one for Christmas.

12. Proud big sister moment. Gabe: "I finished The Hobbit today!" Me: "Oh! Did you like it?" Gabe: "YES! And I want to read the next one too!" Me: "Great, I'll put it in your room for you!" So yes, he is enjoying The Fellowship of The Ring now.

13. Trying to push my glasses up only to realize that I wasn't wearing them. It's been a little over two years, and I can't imagine trying to go about my day without them, especially driving.

14. I discovered several book and candle Instagram profiles, so now I'm hooked and attempting to come up with similar content.




16. Christian is well in to training for his new job at In-N-Out.

15. We went and saw The Greatest Showman! I... Have no words to describe how fantastic of a movie it is!

16. I went with a friend from church to see The Last Jedi. I love it so much! I went all in black, and even when the lady sitting next to me accidentally dumped her popcorn in my lap, I had a great time! Then Christian wanted to go see it with one of his friends, so I happily volunteered to drive him and see it a second time (he didn't get to go with me the first time because he had work things). I have so many feelings about it.

17. Us kids had never seen Bye Bye Birdie, so we watched that as a family one evening. Wow, those songs are catchy.

18. Of course we watched White Christmas on Christmas Eve, because tradition.

19. We were going to have people over on New Year's Eve after Church, but the roads were all icy, so our Church didn't even meet. We had a nice quiet evening at home.

Barnyard:

1. I got two more birds, a barred rock and a brown leghorn! I'm so excited to see what happens when I incubate their eggs once they start laying and when it gets warmer!

Need to come up with some names
2. Instead of starting to lay when it was nice out in September/October, my birds decided to wait until it was wet and miserable outside. Two of the four girl ducks are laying, and a few of the hens have finally started. Still have a few freeloading slackers in there, but I'm sure they'll start up in the next few weeks.

Flamingo impressions
3. I put the heat lamp out for them to trick them into thinking that it is lighter, longer outside. So far, I've had good results. The only downside is that the rooster's body clock has gone haywire in the crowing department.

4. Also this:

Music:

Not very much to report there:


Just the soundtracks to the movies from this month, in terms of new things.

I also have a Christmas playlist that I added to since Christmas of 2016:


And the songs I listened to the most in 2017:


Posts of December:






How was your month?
What is your favorite Christmas movie?
Does your family have any Christmas traditions?


6 comments:

  1. I was going to comment something else, then I saw that there's In-n-Out in Texas?? I didn't know that!

    December was a busy month, filled with all sorts of engagements that come up only in December (holiday stuff and new year stuff and end of semester stuff) Also it's kinda funny how it's colder in Texas than here up north. (of course, I haven't been out in like three days so I don't actually know how cold it is lol)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! there are three within about an hour of us (one just opened today actually). For fast food, their burgers aren’t too bad.

      Yeah, we pretty much all stayed inside, huddled under blankets and watching some movies. It was awesome!

      Glad December was good to you!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, such pretty pictures! I'm in awe. What are your photography secrets?
    Sounds like a fairly fun December! That story about your brother on medication cracked me up. Happy New Year!

    Brianna | noendofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      *cough* practice, practice, and more practice.

      Most of the photos on here (and on my instagram) are from my phone (iPhone 5s) so it’s a little easier to get the quick candid shots. To get the exposure I want, I tap anywhere on the screen and drag the little sun icon up or down until I’m satisfied with the results.

      The others are taken with a Canon EOS Rebel t2i (I think that series is up to 7 now) with just the kit lens because I don’t have extra money to spend on different lenses. The macro shots are achieved by taking the lens off of the camera body and positioning it in such a way that when I shoot through it, it zooms way in.

      I’m glad it made you smile!

      Happy new year!

      Delete
    2. Your diligence is impressive. I sometimes wonder why I haven't developed the necessary skills while I've been neglecting something. :D

      Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely have to try some of these; removing the lens sounds really cool (and doable!)

      I just wanted to say that I've been listening to The Greatest Showman soundtrack, and it is AMAZING. I think my family's gotten tired of: "You HAVE to listen to this! No, really!" Thanks for introducing me to it! The music is so good.

      Brianna

      Delete
    3. Sure thing! Yeah, it’s a really fun way to experiment with light leaks and a shallower depth of field!

      I’m so glad! Yeah, my family has pretty much been listening to it nonstop. XD

      Delete

Well hello there! I see you've made it to the bottom of the page, congrats!